Sunday, February 15, 2015

trial and error

the children's "love tree" K's gift for Kevin kitchen window garden is taking over! cilantro growing in the aquafarm watching Betta handwork room handwork room light entertaining himself while he waits for me entertaining himself while he waits for me entertaining himself while he waits for me above their reading nook homemade deodorant
So far, so good on our budgeting/no spend challenge. Although I had a small set back and admit to using my credit card to purchase painting paper for homeschooling last week (we completely ran out!). I paid it right back when Kevin got paid on Friday but I really don't want to allow myself to feel comfortable doing that - it's a slippery slope for me. Our debt is slowly shrinking but the upcoming tax return will really help the snowball gain some momentum.


Our mini indoor garden grown from kitchen scraps has now taken over our kitchen window. Although rather cluttered, it's a wondrous sight. I can't believe just how much it has grown over the past few weeks. I am hoping that we will be able to plant the celery outside in the earth pretty soon. C's AquaFarm has been hard at work for us, too. We have some cilantro sprouts shooting up right now that need some protection from the fierce teeth of our kitties. Somehow I forgot to factor in that cats love fresh greens. I have been growing wheat grass in most of the pots on the AquaFarm in hope that it will distract the cats from the cilantro and other herbs. Right now it's all trial and error but if I can just get the cilantro past the sprout stage I think we will be in the clear.


I mentioned in one of my first budgeting posts that I would share my tried and true self-care recipes. The first one I have to share is homemade deodorant. I have been using this since last summer and I have to say hands down it is the best natural deodorant I have found since I made the switch from antiperspirants over fifteen years ago (wow, I am getting old). I even made some for Kevin last Christmas but with his favorite essential oil (sandalwood). Yeah, I am just the best wife and gift-giver ever.


The recipe is from Real Food RN


Ingredients: 
  • 6 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup aluminum free baking soda
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
  • 15-20 drops lemon essential oil (my favorite essential oils)
Directions:
  • Combine baking soda and arrowroot powder in a bowl and mix with a fork
  • Mash in the coconut oil until a nice paste forms
  • Add in essential oil to your scent level prference
  • Scoop into jar and store in a cool place. The coconut oil will melt if it gets too hot. If you live in a hot climate you can store it in your refrigerator.
I use about a pea size amount for each arm every morning.

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...